Team Member Spotlight: Rob King, Construction Manager
June 19, 2021
Meet Rob King, one of our Construction Managers. Rob joined our team a few months ago and has been an incredible addition to our team! We are so excited for you to get to know him with these fun questions:
Name: Rob King
Title: Construction Manager
What do you love most about your job?
I love mentoring and having the freedom to innovate, make changes, and continually work on improving our processes.
1. Do you have any special talents or hobbies?
My hobbies are Japanese history, martial arts, reading, and riding my motorcycle. My special talent: chewing gum and walking at the same time.
2. What is your favorite color?
Black. It symbolizes mystery, depth, and a representation of all colors at the same time. It also makes me look skinnier and easier to match my clothing.
3. You are up next for Karaoke, what’s your go-to song and why?
“Gotta Serve Somebody” by Bob Dylan. I can do a pretty good imitation since neither one of us can actually sing.
4. Beach or mountains?
Beach. I love to walk along the beach and pray. It makes me feel small compared to the expanse of the sea and sky above and reminds me how much bigger God is than my problems. It also reminds me of my childhood growing up in southern California.
5. If you could be a character from any tv show, who would you be?
John Wick. I admire his skill, situational awareness, and the ability to keep himself calm in any situation.
6. What is your favorite trip that you’ve been on?
Hawaii for 10 days with my wife, April.
7. If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
A South Pacific Island (Including Hawaii of course). I spent a year traveling through many South Pacific Islands in my early 20’s. I enjoyed the simple lifestyle, cultures, food, and connection of the people to the land and sea.
8. Favorite book?
“The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen R. Covey.
9. If money was no object, what would you do all day?
Travel the World.
10. If you could go back in time, where would you travel to?
Japan during the 1200’s through the 1800’s. The beginning of the Samurai rule to the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate rule.
11. Who is your celebrity crush?
“The Rock” Dwayne Johnson.
12. What is the next place on your travel bucket list and why?
Either Japan (I’ve never been and always dreamed of going), or the South Pacific (to take my wife who has never really traveled outside the US and Mexico).
13. Favorite kind of ice cream?
Either Vanilla (with Hershey chocolate powder mix sprinkled on top), or Chocolate Chip.
14. What was the first concert that you went to?
July 23rd, 1978 - Cotton Bowl Jam II in Dallas, Texas: Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller Band, Bob Welch, Little River Band.
15. If you could spend the day in someone else’s shoes, who would it be and why?
My dog. She mostly just eats and sleeps.
16. What would you name your boat if you had one?
Theophilus “Friend of God”.
17. Who would play you in a movie of your life?
The Rock of course. I would also accept Jason Statham, Brad Pitt or Vin Diesel.
18. If you could change your name, what would you choose?
I wouldn’t change my name, but I would make it cool by adding an extra b at the end.
19. Which tv show would you want to be in and why?
Lives of the Rich and Famous, because then I would be rich and famous.
20. What is your favorite holiday?
Veteran’s Day because it’s also my wedding anniversary.
21. Share a unique fact about yourself.
I served onboard a mercy ship in 1983 called the Anastasis during its maiden voyage in the south pacific.
22. If you could be anywhere other than here, right this minute, where would you be?
On the beach in Hawaii with my wife.
23. If you were a superhero, what superpower would you have?
24. Choose a movie title for the story of your life?
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
25. Last song you listened to – what was it?
Can’t name a song but I’m pretty sure it would at least fall into the category of 70’s “Classic Rock”.
26. Flashback to when you were ten years old. What did you want to be when you grow up?
A Dad….I didn’t have one.
27. Name three words that describe you.
Faithful, Loyal, Caring (per my wife😊)
28. What is the craziest thing you’ve done?
Started my own business….twice! (didn’t like my boss either time)
29. What is your proudest achievement?
Married for 30 years, a Dad and a Grandfather. Everything I wanted to be when I was 10 years old 😊
30. What are you happiest doing, when you are not working?
Having a cigar and glass of either bourbon or whiskey on the porch with my wife and friends.