Well-established, award-winning homebuilder located in northern Colorado is seeking a skilled and motivated purchasing agent to communicate, coordinate, and execute plans assigned by the Purchasing Manager. This position requires recent and in-depth purchasing experience, exceptional organizational abilities, refined communication skills, and the determination to learn, grow and develop along with our dynamic team.
The Opportunity and Scope
The Purchasing Agent is responsible for accurately maintaining total costs associated with a project or the development of a new product. The Purchasing Agent builds and maintains our cost database with Mark Systems and vendor files as per company policies and procedures while issuing start packages for each new home prior to construction. The Purchasing Agent reports directly to the Purchasing Manager
• Support the Construction and Sales teams to deliver quality homes on time and within budget.
• Maintain and execute preconstruction as a part of our Home Building Process
• Manage all costs within homebuilding software database (Mark Systems)
• Release accurate start packages for each new home
• Accurately and thoroughly bid and contract communities so the best value is received
• Provide accurate and complete construction budgets
• Maintain responsibility for the system setup of communities, plans, options, and color selections
• Participate in regular jobsite visits to build relationships with the construction team and trades
• Coordinate training for new and existing products
• Engage in regular collaboration with construction team members
• Provide and/or update scopes of work for each trade category
• Update specifications to reflect current product usage
• Provide complete community launch package including trade selections
• Recruit, select, train, and continually develop strong trade partner and supplier relationships
• Participate in Trade Partner trainings & onboarding programs
• Maintain Trade Partner agreements for trade partners and suppliers
• Maintain/Grow relationships with all existing Trade Partners and Suppliers
• Problem solving with Trade Partners, suppliers, or construction team to resolve product or process issues
• Maintain/Grow relationships with Sales and Construction Team Members
• Coordinate training for new and existing products
• Coordinate plan changes with team and trade partners
• Analyze trade partner and supplier costing
• Research alternative products and materials to increase the value to our homebuyers
• Continually seek innovative products, techniques and changes in the home building industry
• Research competitors products for ideas to improve our own product or processes
• Coordinate trials and oversee installation of new products
• Perform material Quantity Take-Off’s for applicable trade categories
• Convert to and Maintain Unit Costing for all scopes of work
• Management of direct construction costs for all scopes of work
• Negotiate costs with trade partners and suppliers
• Provide cost input on new product development and design
• Hold Trade Partners and Suppliers accountable to the Trade Partner Agreement
• Ability to make decisions with sound judgement based on total cost, availability, and fit with Baessler Homes
• Administer new community or new phase bid process
• Jobsite visits specifically to analyze material usage and to review plans versus reality
• Review Variance costs and problem solve to eliminate repeated variances
• Approve and code invoices of non-system generated payment documents
• Setup new communities in our homebuilder software, Mark Systems
• Maintain and Update all Base House and Option Costing within Mark Systems
• Ensure accuracy of each PO and WO by correct system setup
• Maintain all schedule to payment links within the system
• Review 'Job-Start' packages to ensure accuracy
• Load schedules per the Schedule Loading process
• Issue ‘Job-Start’ packages for each home within the pre-construction process
• Residential Construction knowledge or experience with an aptitude for technology
• High school diploma required
• Accounting, Business and/or Construction Management degree is helpful but not necessary
• Ability to maintain the highest ethical behavior
• Must be well organized and a self-starter
• Detail oriented, professional attitude, reliable, excellent work ethics.
Proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook, 10-key by touch, MarkSystems a plus
Ability to type 45-55 wpm
• Possess strong organizational and time management skills
• Analyzes problems and makes sound decisions in a timely manner based on objectives, risks, implications, and costs.
• Displays strong written and oral communication skills and employs effective listening skills
• Tactful and mature demeanor with well developed interpersonal skills including the ability to work well with diverse personalities
• Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
• Ability to perform mathematical computations such as percentages, fraction, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division quickly and accurately.
Requires the following:
• Ability to occasionally stand, walk, crawl, climb, reach, bend, kneel, balance, stoop, or sit up for more than eight hours a day.
• Use of hands to feel or reach objects, mouse, and type on computer.
• Ability to move about office space and undeveloped land.
• Hearing and talking with multiple people during or most of the entire workday.
• The use of varying vision abilities such as close vision, peripheral, depth and in adjusting focus.
• Be able to lift and carry items of up to 30 pounds.
• Being able to tolerate temperature-controlled environment and outdoor environment with varying temperatures.
• Typical noises on construction job sites
• Vision for near, mid-range, far and accommodation. Hearing for low, medium, and high pitch.
• Must have current and valid driver’s license and must be able to be insured by company fleet insurance.
• Being able to move around in the work area independently or without external help.